Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Students keep inquiring about . . .

I have been in contact with lots of college students lately and their most POPULAR questions are:
  • How do I break into "the industry"?
  • What are some things I should be doing before I graduate?
  • How do I get an internship?
  • Should I have a job secured before I graduate?
  • I don't know what I want to do with my life, how do I figure it out?
To all my young adults, I am here to the rescue to answer some of your most pressing questions. Get your CAREER JOURNAL and take notes!

How do I break into "the industry"?
My first suggestion would be to do your research on whatever industry you are interested in. You should be able to speak the "language", know the departments available in that industry, know the top ranked companies, research relevant organizations, find and read trade magazines that give you insight and lastly try to network with industry professionals. Once you do all of these things and more, you will be better qualified to search for a job or internship, ask knowledgeable questions and be better prepared for your next big opportunity. You have to at least look the part, to get the part. Not the other way around! Remember this!

What are some things I should be doing before I graduate?
I would suggest getting in all of the internship and volunteer experience you can possibly get under your belt. Fill up your resume with various levels of experience such as internships, volunteer work, organizations/clubs, jobs, etc. It is a competitive playing field when searching for a job. You must be proactive in every area and ask yourself, how are you going to stand out. It's not enough to have good grades. You must do MORE! Question is, what are you doing (that's above and beyond the call of college duty)?

How do I get an internship?
Be proactive. Be confident. Ask yourself these questions: What are your areas of interest? What companies are related to your areas of interest? What industries are you drawn to? What departments and/or positions would you like to explore? Once you answer those questions and have at least a general idea, begin to do your research. Don't be afraid to cold call. Think outside the box -- contact your Career Services Department, Alumni Services, your community, church, friends, family, google, Chamber of Commerce, organizations, employment sites, etc. Consider every avenue and go for it!

Should I have a job secured before I graduate?
There is no right or wrong answer or clear cut path I can give you. Everyone has a path that works best for them. I can, however, give you some nuggets to consider such as: finances, location and experience. Finances -- Are you financially stable enough to live on your own right after college? If not, maybe you should move back home first to save some money and then consider living independently. Location -- Where do you want to live? Want to live in your home town, college town or somewhere completely different? Your answer will give you lots to consider and will help you to determine what actions you should take post graduation. Experience -- Do you think you have enough experience to jump straight into the working world OR would you like to spend the summer and/or fall packing your resume with more internships/jobs/volunteer work to make you a more competitive candidate? All of these factors are serious issues to consider and no one can define the answer but you. Find a path that works best for you and confidently carry it out. It's okay to experience bumps in the road. The important thing is you don't give up and remain steadfast in your desire to succeed.

I don't know what I want to do with my life, how do I figure it out?
Please look at the answers I have provided for questions 1-4 and I think they will help guide your thoughts. Through internships/jobs/volunteer work/mentors/career services/alumni services/research/organizations/prayer, I believe you will begin to have a clearer vision of what direction you should be going in. Doing these things does NOT mean that you will know exactly what you want to to do with your life, many times that takes patience and life experiences, however it will at least put you on a route that will help you attain personal and professional success.

I hope this helps you successfully transition from student to professional. Good luck and stay FAB!


No comments: