Tuesday, December 2, 2008

FAB goes inside the corporate walls of Fashion Guru, NICOLE MILLER!

Account Executive, Kristen Devine, gives FAB the scoop...

What do fashion designer, Nicole Miller, and FAB have in common? Both love Kristen Devine!

Kristen Devine is not your average smart, driven southern belle...she is all that and much more! But what's most interesting about Kristen is that she often takes the road less traveled and is seemingly rewarded every time. Graduate of an elite, private liberal arts university (Furman University)- check!, successful career- check!, happily married- check!

Just how did Kristen take her fashion dream and make it a reality? Read below! FAB has ALL the details...

Profile:

Hometown: High Point, NC
College: Furman University - Greenville, SC
Major: Communication Studies, emphasis in Art
Employer: Nicole Miller
Job Title: Account Executive
Personal Goals: To be successful in fashion sales, and possibly own my own boutique one day

FAB asked, she answered!
1.) There are stereotypes that women in fashion can be caddy and bitchy, would you say this is true or false? Why?
I would say it is true for the most part. Fashion is a cut throat industry and not for the faint of heart. Many girls and guys want to be in the industry and there are only so many positions available. For some reason, fashion tends to attract girls who either have a sense of entitlement or have a bit of an attitude. In general, the industry is not for people with a thin skin.

2.) Why fashion? Why not music or cosmetics or engineering?
I've known I wanted to be in fashion since I was in middle school. I have always had an interest in clothes. To me, make up has always been more of a chore, and not something I take much pleasure in. I love putting together an outfit, and helping other people put together an outfit that flatters them.

3.) What is your biggest accomplishment so far?
I'd have to say my biggest career accomplishment so far is becoming an Account Executive at Nicole Miller. Nicole is a huge name in fashion, and those in and not in our industry know who she is. She's famous for flattering women's bodies with her beautiful dresses, and making the woman wearing one feel amazing.

4.) What do you say to the nay-sayers that may think you had it "easier" because you were married and had help settling into the city?
Getting where you want to be in your career solely depends on you and how hard you're willing to work to get what you want. Any connection can only open a door; you have to be the one to walk through it, however hard or easy that may be. While my husband has been supportive of me in every decision I've made in my career, I have made the decision to pursue exactly what I want in my career, and will continue to do so.

5.) You have worked at a couple of well-respected fashion houses and have experienced a "not so fun" relationship with some of your co-workers. How has this lesson helped or hindered you and your career?
These lessons have helped me. They have helped me to develop a thick skin (which you'll need in almost any industry in NYC); and they've also taught me how to handle challenging people. Lastly, they have taught me how not to treat people. Always treat people the way you want to be treated.

6.) One thing that I have always respected and loved about you is that you have a strong set of values, you always stay true to yourself - great quality to possess! What keeps you so grounded in your faith and morals in a city with so much temptation and negativity?
Throughout my life, like many Christians, I have been close and felt far from God. Each time I shift away from God, somehow things tend to not work out exactly how I'd like them to. I know that with every success I have, it's because God has blessed me.

7.) You're happily married, just bought a beautiful brand new home, successful career, what's next for Kristen Devine?
Getting our couch delivered!! Only kidding...Purchasing and moving into a new home was (and still is) quite an adventure. While I am always looking for a new challenge, being content is important. I am very happy with where I am in my personal life, and in my professional life. So as of now -- no new plans.

Kristen's picture diary!



















Kristen (in Nicole Miller) and co-worker at 2008 Las Vegas trade show.















Nicole Miller's booth at 2008 Vegas trade show (Nice collection colors!)















Kristen and husband, Eric. Smooches!

No comments: