Saturday, November 8, 2008

How I became FAB.

I was sitting in my house one day, thinking about how grateful I was for what I have and what I've accomplished thus far, but wondering if this is it and what's to come. Surely, this can't be the next 2o years of my life. Living in NYC - check!, working for a well-respected company- check!, great title- check!, decent salary- check!, getting to travel to new places- check!, HAPPY- ummmm, not fully (or shall I say not!) And why shouldn't I be?! I am a firm believer in having a passion versus a j-o-b or just a career. Most of us spend at least 80% or more of our time at our jobs and many people are unfulfilled, but rather than chasing their dream or their God given talent, people settle. I, on the other hand, refuse. I think that "settling" is often done because we don't always know how to connect the dots and transform our ideas into reality. I am surrounded by so many friends, professionals, and peers that are driven and intelligent, but just can't figure out how to move to the next level. While I was mulling all of this over in my brain, that's when it hit me. I had an epiphany... I am always helping people, I love to speak publicly, I can't get enough networking, I desire career fulfillment, I am passionate about multiple industries but can't seem to find a job that will allow me to pursue them all. Some may think I am crazy or insane but I am determined to be happy both personally and career-wise. I don't want to choose which passion I want to pursue, why can't I pursue them all?! I love fashion, arts, and beauty (FAB). I have to be FAB!!! I want the people that I am surrounded by to feel this same way. We will succeed, we have no choice! We have a Black President, we have NO excuses!
All of this thinking lead me to the birth of FAB. A non-profit organization designed to foster career and social networking opportunities for college students and working professionals. Basically, what excites me most about FAB is that it is an outlet for "us" to connect the dots - to not only dream but act on our dreams and transform our deepest desires and aspirations into a success story, to share inspiration in the dark hours and to have a professional and social family that genuinely wants you to succeed and will lend a helping hand to make sure "it" comes into fruition, whatever that "it" maybe.

You've just witnessed the birth of FAB and as it continues to mature and grow, it is my sincere hope that YOU will be apart of the esteemed family of FAB!

Stay FAB!

4 comments:

JonathanOlmo said...

let me start off by saying that what your doing is awesome. i can relate to the situation of "finding yourself" and finding what will keep you happy. FAB is awesome and i wish you the best of luck =-)

J.Styles said...

Thanks Jonathan for your words of encouragement! I am so glad you're a fan of FAB, stay tuned for more. As we discussed, my experiences are relatable to yours and many others which is why I think FAB will be a great tool for so many of us!

monicaG said...

FAB is Outstanding!!! I am truly inspired! I too can relate to wanting to making a difference and placing my mark in this world and not just being satisfied with my profesional career.

J.Styles said...

Monica!!! You get it. Making a difference, getting inspired, being inspired and staying inspired! You are FAB!