Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sowmya Krishnamurthy: In love with the Music Industry and Destined to be in CHARGE!

The real story behind Sowmya Krishnamurthy!

Sowmya and I have been friends since 2005. We met through a mutual friend while both of us were living in NYC as Bad Boy interns in two seperate offices, so we actually never had the opportunity to meet (until our friend introduced us). Over the years, our friendship has flourished and we've been able to share in each other's hard times and successes, cause no one understands unless you've been there - and trust me, we've been there and kind of still there! Whether it's moving to NYC with only two suitcases fresh out of college, having not so favorable roommates (that we'd both like to forget), understanding how everything in the city is a project, like washing clothes or going to the grocery store or deciding to buy a TV with no way to get home so you and your friend carry it up the street, or when something breaks and you have to fix it yourself. Sowmya and I often laugh and cry at our triumphs, but as Sowmya likes to say, "this middle class thing was fun for a while, but I'm over it." With that thought in mind, we both share the desire to overcome our obstacles with the intent of looking back one day and being proud - that despite all, we perservered! We did it! And that's all that matters...

PROFILE:

Age: 24
Employer: ICED MEDIA (http://www.icedmedia.com/)
Title: Senior Project Manager
Employer Details: ICED Media is an online marketing, research, and publicity company working with clients in the areas of music, film, television, and traditional corporate.
Occupation Details: Recently worked with: The Game, Nelly, Lil Wayne, Carnival Cruise Lines, and CNN.
Previous Experience: Prior to ICED, Sowmya was in the William Morris Agency's Agent Trainee program in NYC. Originally from Kalamazoo, Michigan, she is a graduate of the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan ('06).


10 Questions with Sowmya:
1.) Being from Michigan is completely different from living in Manhattan. When did you decide to move to NYC and more importantly, why?
I always knew I would work in the entertainment industry, especially in the music industry. I think I was 13 or 14 when I decided to move to NYC. NYC is the mecca of urban music and I knew I had to be where the action was.

2.) Some people move here with a job and others take the more independent route and decide to begin their hustle when they are actually New Yorkers. Which route did you take and are you glad you made your decision?
As cliche as it sounds, I moved to NYC with little more than two suitcases. I had no job and spent about a month interviewing. From Craigslist to Monster to calling on every little favor I could think of, I job hunted and interviewed literally everywhere. To pay the bills, I had took random temp jobs. Eventually after 4 rounds of interviews, I was accepted into the prestigious William Morris Agency Trainee program.

3.) Why the entertainment industry, what intrigues you the most?
Apart from the obvious love of music, growing up, the music industry in particular always represented to me, a way for young, minorities to empower themselves and create their own destinies. From Puffy at Bad Boy to Kevin Liles at Def Jam, I grew up admiring these young people who were able to be successful on their own terms. That entrepreneurial spirit always attracted me to this industry.

4.) There are a lot of negative stereotypes that surround the music business. Because the entertainment industry is predominantly dominated by men, many say it is harder for women to "break into the industry" based on their experience or intellect; instead, it becomes a question of what can you do for me? Do you find this stereotype to be true?
Although women have made great strides in this industry (in fact one of ICED Media's founders is a woman), stereotypes do persist. As a woman, you have to work twice as hard as your male counterparts to obtain the same level of respect. You are held to different standards of morality and decorum; in other words, you can't do what the boys do.

5.) If so, how do you handle these uncomfortable situations without ruining your career or your reputation?
I think at the end of the day you have to stay true to yourself, regardless of gender, race, etc. "To thine ownself be true". You have to be cognizant of the double standards of the industry but you can't let them control you. Do you.

6.) What has been the most unpleasant situation so far?
Haha. Well without getting into sordid details, probably the most unpleasant experience has been assuming people in respectable positions are just that, respectable. There are people in all levels with ulterior motives. Just because the industry has moved into more corporate environments does not mean that old habits and practices have died.

7.) As a young professional, you have been able to successfully balance the male dominating presence of the industry while also moving up the latter, what advice do you give other young ladies entering into the circus of entertainment?
Like I mentioned before, you have to stay true to yourself. Know BEFORE you enter the industry, what your morals and ethics are. Your mom isn't here and there's no one to hold your hand. If you're lost and looking for guidance, this is not the place to find it. If you are confident in yourself and keep your priorities straight, 90% of the bullshit doesn't affect you.

8.) What is your average day like (who do you interact with on a daily basis and what type of hours do you work)?
I start my day around 11am and work until 8pm. On the marketing side I deal with clients including record labels, artist managers, film studio executives, etc. On the publicity side, I work closely with online writers and bloggers; pitching them content and press opportunities. Luckily because my clients are varied, no two days are alike. One day I might be in front of the computer for the majority of the day, the next I'll have artist meet-and-greets and off-site meetings. I have a short attention span and get bored super easily, so I love having a diverse client roster to work with.
Because my job is based in relationships, after work I attend industry parties and events at least 2-3 times a week. It's important to physically "press flesh" with the people I do business with. The great part about living in NYC and working in entertainment is that there's always something fun to go to!

9.) When is the last time you cried?
Oh boy, probably about a month ago. I can't even remember what triggered it.

10.) On a personal note, are you living a "Sex and the City" lifestyle? Give us the juice on what goes on with a pretty, single and professional young lady living in NYC.
Man that show ruined it for everyone didn't it? Seriously, NYC dating is a very peculiar beast. People are very focused on themselves (their careers, their lives) and therefore aren't looking for a relationship. I'm a busy girl but totally open to meeting a good guy. So to all of you guys out there, feel free to drop a line! Ha!


Sowmya and The Game at a BET 106&Park taping














Sowmya and Nelly during a press day

No comments: