Monday, October 26, 2009

What type of email do you send if you DON'T get the job?

You get a phone call/email saying that they decided on another candidate, blah blah . . . what should you say???

There are 2 scenarios: You would like to keep in contact with this company because you want to be considered for other positions OR you really don't care and kinda didn't want this job anyway. See below for both types of responses.

Type #1: You want to keep in touch and be considered for other positions.

Hello Ms. __________________,

Thank you for informing me of the company's decision. I appreciate you considering me for the (list exact title) position. As I mentioned in my interview, I am very interested in working for (list name of company) and would like to keep in contact and made aware of other opportunities that better suit my level of experience and skill set.

Thank you again and I look forward to being in touch should other opportunities become available.

Sincerely,

(first and last name)
(include a signature with a phone number)


Type #2: You don't really care to keep in touch and are not interested working at this particular company anyway.

Hello Ms. _________________,

Thank you for informing me of the company's decision. Although this opportunity did not work out, I am very grateful for your time and consideration.

Thank you again!

Sincerely,

(first and last name)
(include signature with phone number)

*Note: These are basic email thank you templates and should be personalized based on conversations between you and the interviewer. It is always better to thank the interviewer for specifics (i.e. advice, contacts, referrals, etc.). However, if the conversation was strictly business, then send a very nice general email as noted above.

No comments: