Saturday, February 14, 2009

I've Finally Figured it Out...

Even though she doesn't know it, B. Smith is my MENTOR...

While watching the BET Honor Awards show this week, I had an "agh hah" moment. I was relaxing at home, listening to the show as the announcer talked about the award, "Entrepreneur of the Year." The announcer started narrating why the recipient should receive this award and then a short video was played highlighting the career of a pioneer - I literally stopped in my tracks - leaned in, listened even more intently and my heart began to shutter...my moment of clarity hit me. SHE is it! The supermodel turned entrepreneur, B. Smith, is the woman that understands me. Her story is much like my story. And then, I really realized that we have something in common - in the video that highlighted her professional accomplishments, she mentioned how she was always searching for ways that she could take all of her interests and meld them into a career, as she was never just interested in one thing. As evident, in her extraordinary career in the restaurant, beauty, fashion, and home sectors. She found a way to make it all work, and that's why I love B. Smith. It sounds unfathomable, but she made it obtainable - that's awesome in so many ways. I've been searching for a professional symbol of inspiration, someone that has treaded some of the same waters that has my name flowing down the stream. My destiny has already been written, but isn't it nice to see a real-life example just to reiterate that it's possible to live your wildest dream? I've never met B. Smith, but I plan to. And when I do, I want to ask her some of the same questions that I ask myself - when you feel in your heart you are meant to do something but the grid for achieving your goals is not so black and white, how do you create your GPS system to ensure that you arrive at your designated destination? I'll keep you posted on her response, trust me - there WILL be a response. B. Smith is my new inspiration, who's yours?!

BET Honor's, "2009 Entrepreneur of the Year" Award Recipient



No comments: