Monday, February 9, 2009

Exclusive Interview: SHINE Magazine's Founder/Editor-in-Chief, Tracey Mitchell



SHINE MAGAZINE: College. Style. Hustle. Life.

Interview Exclusive
The Founder and Editor-in-Chief of SHINE Magazine, Tracey Mitchell, recently spoke with FAB about the joys of chasing her dream and ALL that comes along with entrepreneurship and breaking grounds on a new idea. MEETING TRACEY: When first talking with Tracey on the phone, I could sense her enthusiasm and professionalism - it made me smile. She lives in Tennessee so I've never met her in person, but I feel as though we've been knowing each other for quite some time. Her zeal to succeed was definitely evident and I knew immediately, FAB had to know more. Tracey is a 24-year old graduate student at Tennessee State University, earning her Master's in English; and of course she's also a talented writer, entrepreneur, innovator, thinker and motivator. In a multiple choice game, she'd be E: all of the above! Tracey began her writing career as an undergrad English Major at the University of Alabama. Her beginning is similar to many writers - working on the school newspaper. At first, the thought of delivering ground breaking news to her peers sounded exhilarating and fulfilling but the excitement soon came to an end as she realized her school (Alabama State University) didn't have the staff or resources to print a paper that would actually make a difference (at least Tracey didn't think so). Although the seed of entrepreneurship has always been apart of her, this pivotal moment was the first sign of that seed growing into more than just an idea. After careful thought and consideration, Tracey transferred to the University of Alabama, where the resources were easier to come by and her talent would have its place. SHINE Magazine would soon be on the horizon. Tracey began perfecting her writing skills and continued to be apart of many organizations in school. Her dedication to student involvement paired with her entrepreneur spirit led her to the conclusion that college students and young professionals lack a magazine that allows their voices to be heard - a place where students could broadcast their work, find out information about careers, relationships, fashion and more importantly a platform to share in each other's college and professional hustle. Thus, the tag line of SHINE Magazine: College, Style, Hustle, Life. In 2008, Tracey officially breathed life into SHINE Magazine. FAB was able to talk with Tracey on how she was able to launch the online magazine and what that means to the college and professional world.

TRACEY MITCHELL
Profile:

Hometown: Mobile, AL - I have lived everywhere though. My father was in the military, so as people like to say, I was a military brat. I've lived in San Diego, Portland, New Orleans and Norfolk, VA.

College: Attended Alabama State University, then transferred to the University of Alabama '07 and current graduate student at Tennessee State University

Personal Goals: Being able to do God's work and fulfill the purposes that He has planned for me. Like most people I have dreams to be able to buy a certain car, live well, and provide for my family; however, I think that with faith and hard work, everything else is taken care of.

Professional Goals: I want SHINE to grow internationally and be a well-known publication and a source for college students and graduates. I believe my gift of creativity will take me far. With that said, I am also working on a children's book for young girls; also a friend and I would like to start a children's boutique in the future...years down the road. Other than that, I want to be able to open a youth club filled with programs to help further their education and help them achieve a better life.
1.) SHINE was not in existence. You were just living your life normally, but something was missing. What?

An outlet for college students to get their word across in a way that is both entertaining and thought provoking. The market to fill that gap was wide open and ready to be snatched up. At the time prior to when I start my own magazine, I was a Senior Staff Reporter at The Crimson White at the University of Alabama. We had just finished having our "Pow-Wow" meeting about the upcoming school year. It was a general meeting as well as a meeting to get to know the "paid staff" (myself included). I meet many African American journalism students who would ask me, "What can I do to get on with the staff?" or "I need clips, but cant seem to get a writing position." Simultaneously, things started to take a turn for the worst with my own position. I was getting both praises and discouragement from my previous editor and my at-the-time current editor. On the one hand, my former editor was telling me that I was making a major improvement and my current editor was saying the exact opposite. It began to be more about race than talent. I was frankly tired of being the token black girl to cover all the fraternity events and other functions. At first, yes, it was fun being known as the "reporter girl." And many times I loved the fact that I could attend an event, meet new people, write about it, and portray my people in a positive light within the media. That brought me joy. But the disrespect of some of my co-workers did not. So I began to think BIG. I thought about why all this was happening to me. I realized that I was meant to help others. So I put myself aside, thought about those students that had came up to me for help, and begin to think to create something for them.

2.) You're changing the way college students view college life as simply a bubble for learning and partying! Instead, you're a real-life example of how one sees a problem and challenges themselves to correct it. Why did you decide to accept this enormous challenge?

I accepted the challenge because I looked at is as a dream, not a burden. I wanted to because of the will to want to help others. I've always had a big heart as well as an entrepreneur-type spirit. When I was younger I used to own a book called, "Better than a Lemonade Stand". It was a do-it-yourself type of business owning book for children. I love innovation and when you can use it to help others at the same time, you're doing good.

3.) SHINE needs what in order for it to BLOW UP? What are the ingredients SHINE needs from us readers out there?

We already have the adequate staff members, writers, and innovative talent on with SHINE. We would like to continue to let aspiring journalists apply for writing positions by contacting us via email. But other than that, I would say feedback is the main ingredient. We are not forcing readers to like all that they read, but we are asking them to let us know what they want to hear from us, comment on the articles, and just stay on top of us as a publication. That will make us serve them better.

4.) FAB is like SHINE in many ways, how do you feel a grass-roots organization can help you and your magazine?

I think that with anything, it takes those small steps to add to the big ones. It takes a way of being able to know your business as well as how you can partner with another to gain a consistency in your approach to the reader. It goes along with that statement: stand strong, but be flexible an able to bend when needed.

5.) Tell FAB something that is buried beneath the surface of the graduate student turned entrepreneur. What don't we know, but should?

Well like I was saying, I have always been an entrepreneur at heart. That may or may not be evident. Because in order to have your own business, you have to be able to give 110% and time management and faith is key! One thing about me that I would like to share is that I am somewhat of a "bohemian." My insight on life is always optimistic, I have a desire to help others, and I have a desire to win! That is pretty much how most of our readers and staff are as well. We are hustlers but we are not in this to double-cross anyone else to get to the top. It's much better if we can all get there together right?

6.) Describe yourself in 3 words.

Creative, Driven, and Original

7.) 3 biggest challenges right now (personally and professionally)?

Patience and Patience (on both sides). It's something I'm working on, but it will come with time.

8.) If your future had to consist of 3 things, what would they be?

Liberation, success, and happiness

9.) You laugh most when...

I'm around my dad. He is hilarious to me. And the best part about it is half of the time, he does not even know he is so funny. That's makes it even better.

10.) You get frustrated most when...

The day is up. They go by so fast these days. But it's cool, cause It's just making me have to get up earlier to get a good start.


Tracey Mitchell is a woman of drive and certainly possesses the will to do good - what a perfect mix of entrepreneurship and humanity. We've gotten insight into the personal and professional side of Tracey. With that said, it is my hope that by reading Tracey's story, FAB readers will gain more insight into not just becoming a successful entrepreneur, but rather get a panoramic view of what it's like to be a work in progress and a success - all at the same time! Tracey Mitchell is far from reaching her full potential, yet she already has so much to be grateful for. Thank you Tracey, FAB loves SHINE Magazine and we know FAB readers will too! Check out the online magazine @ http://www.shinemgazineonline.com/.


What does SHINE Magazine offer? Fashion, Media/Entertainment, Careers, Campus Involvement, Budgeting, Social Platform, Inspiration, Networking, and much more!

SHINE Magazine fans


No comments: