Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fashionista Entrepreneur: Val Idehen

She's more than just another entrepreneur; this girl has STYLE ...VALSTYLE!

VAL STYLE: "innovative approach to retail merchandising"

SHOP AND MINGLE = VAL STYLE!


She's the epitome of what it takes to not only have a creative idea, but to take it by the reigns and go after her dream full force - despite naysayers. Her name is Val Idehen. Val has a way of igniting a sparkle in the room, whether it is her out of the box style, go get ‘em attitude or her down to earth demeanor. She has an extensive resume at the tender age of 26. Her impressive background made FAB want to know more . . . Ivy League Graduate - check!, FIT Alum - check! Former MTV Networks Employee - check!, Fashionista - check!, Entrepreneur - check! Although everything Val touches seemingly turns to gold, her blossoming success has not come without trial and error.




Val sums up her entrepreneurial drive with a simple phrase, “you almost have to be possessed by the thing. I’m convinced only other entrepreneurs know what I’m talking about.”

In that vein, Val sat down with FAB for an exclusive interview to share the story of her path – including juicy details on how her company ValStyle became an actual business and not just an idea on a sticky note!


FAB: Having your own business is so tough, what made you decide to move forward?

Val: I think I’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit . . . especially thinking back on high school and college and the activities I participated in, groups or events I started . . . it definitely makes sense I’d end up pursuing entrepreneurship. But I will say if I had known that managing a start-up enterprise would be this difficult, I probably would have thought it too daunting and never tried. Once I started though, it was impossible to turn back. And I started because I couldn't ignore the opportunity.

FAB: I believe you - it's like entrepreneurship has a life of it's own. But, part of what makes you stand out is that you don't sit by the sidelines, you dive right in. Where did you get your “go get ‘em” approach from?

Val: Well, I am from an immigrant family and we were very entrepreneurial . . . I’m the first to start a company, but the way we survived as a family was incredibly entrepreneurial. I am one of five kids and we were always taught to be resourceful, resilient and creative -- we made a little go a very long way. Growing up, I was encouraged to keep learning and growing, to get as much as I could out of every opportunity, to push myself to accomplish more and more and to just experience as much as I could in life. After a while, you just believe you can do anything you set your mind to.

FAB: That's a great philosophy! Your educational background is very impressive, why did you decide to attend YALE? And more importantly, how did that experience shape your career?

Val: My older brother went to Yale and he and I have always been very close. So I was exposed to his experience during my high school years in boarding school and I felt as if I already had a connection to the school. At Yale, I had the opportunity to perform in a couple of groups, and with one in particular, I was able to travel and hold leadership positions. I also held three work-study jobs throughout my time there and got to work closely with Elizabeth Alexander. Working with her was especially impactful because I saw a woman who was earning a living through art and her own creativity. I’d say that was my first real taste of the entrepreneur’s life and the idea that you can chart your own individual course. I’ve always had different interests and enjoyed being involved in many different types of projects and activities. I think that love and my experiences at Yale led me to appreciate all the different aspects of being in business.

FAB: You definitely possess a pizzazz and style that most could NEVER pull off. How did your interest in fashion spawn into your company ValStyle?

Val: Well I started the business intuitively, just because of people complimenting my style and liking what I would go to sample sales and get. Lol. I fell into shopping for my colleagues and while I knew I was good at deal hunting and shopping, I knew I didn't know anything about the business of retail. So I started taking classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Through studying and learning on the job, I found out retail is very serious business. I got organized. And eventually I clearly couldn't do two jobs at once. It was clear ValStyle was becoming its own thing and I had to pay attention to it.

FAB: How would you describe ValStyle?

Val: ValStyle is an innovative approach to retail merchandising done through network-based distribution channels, personalized shopping experiences and of course, the world wide web. I love how the internet can be such an efficient marketplace. It allows for companies like ValStyle to be nimble and flexible and for shopping to be customized to what consumers want.

FAB: What is a rewarding aspect of being an Entrepreneur?

Val: As an entrepreneur, you’re a living realization of how we as people are our greatest assets…our capabilities, our creativity, what we can do, how we can create something out of nothing. That excites me the most.

SPECIAL OFFER: FAB 25% DISCOUNT!!!
ValStyle has been generous enough to give FAB shoppers a discount on all the luxury and already-reduced fashion items offered on valstyleonline.com. Make sure to go and cop some fashionably chic items from the online fashion guru. Enter IAMFAB code at checkout for 25% Off. Expires June 7.

Pics of a live ValStyle shopping experience: snacks, shopping, fashionistas . . . all apart of the ValStyle lifestyle!



For more information on ValStyle, visit http://www.valstyleonline.com/.

No comments: