Monday, January 12, 2009

Chianti Lomax: From NOTHING to SOMETHING!


"...don't let the way you start determine the way you finish...
I can’t remember where that quote came from but I think it truly describes my life and what I have accomplished so far. I came from a single parent home of four children and growing up on the “wrong side” of town has been the downfall for many young black kids in the south, but I would not allow anyone’s perception of where I was from serve as a road block on my journey to success. With my mother’s constant reminder to "'get your education and get out of SC'", I knew that education would be my ticket to a better lifestyle, I did what I had to do in school to get to where I am today."

Chianti Lomax epitomizes the phrase, "all things are possible." It is with her unwavering desire to succeed that has lifted her from her humble beginnings in South Carolina and has enabled her to graduate college with Honors and travel the world - setting her sights higher than the average person you'll meet. If you ask Chianti about her background, she will candidly admit that her surroundings did not encourage out of the box thinking and is instead a hindrance for many young kids - but her Mother was the exception. She instilled values in her children that far surpassed what the streets could leak through the doors - she gave love, wisdom and strength. FAB is particularly fascinated by Chianti's story, as she brings a freshness and resilience that makes us look at our own tribulations with a new perspective and understanding. FAB had the opportunity to sit down with Chianti and hear how she has transformed her community's perception of professionalism and hard-work, as well as trascend her own thoughts into an even bigger success story!

Chianti with friend in Washington, D.C.


Profile:
- College: College of Charleston, SC, Bachelor of Arts in Corporate Communication, Minor in Women’s Studies
- Career: (Washington, D.C.) IBM / Business Transformation Consultant/2 ½ years – currently developing training materials for modernization system for a government client
- Career Aspirations: Eventually work in the Public Relations Industry focusing on Entertainment and Nonprofits
- Personal Goals: Start a non-profit focused on mentoring kids that come from single parent homes

FAB gets the details:
1.) What have you learned from being the first generation to leave the nest?
I’ve learned that being a “grown-up” is overrated. (laughs)…just kidding. But seriously, being the first to leave my mom’s house, I’ve encountered many struggles of being out in the real world. Growing up in a single parent home, I didn’t have the luxury of calling home and asking for my “weekly allowance”. I learned how to be responsible to the 7th power – time management, money management, etc. – mostly through trial and error – but I’ve survived.

2.) I know you are dead set on being successful, what stereotypes are you most determined to break? Why?
The main stereotype that I want to shatter is this idea that people from certain neighborhoods will not be as successful as the people who are born with a silver spoon in there mouth. And my goal is not to impress these “privileged” individuals. It’s to show the so called “have-nots” that the resources and opportunities are there – they just have to get off of that couch and hit the pavement. Because if I can do it anyone can – the sky is the limit and I’m still reaching for the stars.

4.) You moved to D.C. straight out of college, a year later moved cross country to San Diego and now you’re back in D.C. You definitely possess a fearless attitude. Tell FAB about your “go gett’em” spirit.
Sometimes in life you have to let go of your inhibitions to get to where you need to be. Was I nervous about moving both times – of course? But I did what I had to do. Besides, I love seeing new places and meeting new people. Networking is key.

5.) What keeps you going when you want to give up? What does your moment of reasoning look like?
I know this may sound a little cliché, but I would have to say my faith. When I feel like I’m at wits end, I take a moment to remember where I came from, and how far God has taken me. And I feel in my heart that I am destined for greatness.

6.) You’re single in one of the most popular cities in the world. How’s the dating scene…is it hard to find young professionals as down-to-earth and driven as you?
Dating in the DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) area is ummm, haven't really done to much of it, (laughs) but there are a lot of attractive young professionals who seem to be driven. I’ve found some of them to be down to earth, and others not so much.

7.) Tell FAB about your side interest.
I am really interested in breaking into the Entertainment PR/ Event Planning world. Currently, I’m not working in the PR profession, but I’ve always had a few side gigs to get to help nurture my skills as PR professional. In San Diego, not only did I work full-time, but I also had two non-paid internships that focused on publicity and some event planning. Now that I am almost settled in here in DC, I’m hoping to continue to grow my PR skills.

8.) How can FAB help you pursue your passion?
After learning about FAB - I knew that night that I definitely wanted to get involved. I can see the potential in this organization and wanted to volunteer my services as a PR professional. I am hoping that this partnership is going to increase FAB’s presence in the community and expand my portfolio at the same time.

9.) You’ve already made great strides to break stereotypes and travel the road less travel, what else is in store for Chianti Lomax?
I’m looking into the wonderful world of entrepreneurship…expect to see me on the cover of Black Enterprise in the future.

10.) FAB loves to get the scoop, what’s one thing most people don’t know about you.
I am a HUGE fan of the show “Gossip Girl”. Shameful – I know. Its my dirty little secret.


Chianti setting a great example, volunteering!
***Chianti hones the smarts, the drive and the pizazz to succeed and what's more impressive is that she desires to give back. Even as a young and blooming professional, she understands early on the importance of not just leaving the nest, but leaving the nest and never forgetting to come back and plant the seeds so more birds can soar!***

FAB loves Chianti's zeal to be all that she can be...and FAB agrees "...don't let the way you start, determine the way you finish..."

2 comments:

RRBOYCEIII said...

Very interesting interview. Its good to see stories that like these. They not only inspire young black females but also young black males to get there things together. Thank you, FAB. Keep up the good work.

J.Styles said...

Hey Ronald,
Thank you for reaching out to FAB! FAB's ultimate goal is to inspire and highlight where we ARE and where we're GOING! Stay tuned and keep reading, FAB is here to stay!

P.S. Keep doing your thing, FAB maybe recruiting you next! :)