Friday, January 23, 2009

Denisio Truitt ( the "artist"), on Soul Searching and Following Your Heart!

She's fabulous. She's artistic. She's talented. She's breaking all the rules. Denisio certainly understands the hardships of trying to find a career that allows you make $ and pursue your passion all at the same time. Despite her family's idea of having a set in stone career path working in the corporate world, Denisio decided she needed to follow her own heart - even though she candidly admits, I was in college "struggling with finding a major. I was scared." After much thought, Denisio decided to major in English and pursue a not so black and white career path and for once, she actually felt like she made the right decision. She was now well on her way to securing a successful future after school or so she thought. Just like most college graduates, you leave college feeling confident that your Honor's Degree, internships, and classroom skills will land you your "dream job" but for many graduates, the story is much more complicated - Denisio learned this lesson the hard way. After graduating from the prestigious private liberal arts university, Washington and Lee, she was thrown into the work force with "no security and it was very overwhelming." The whole process of finding a job that truly makes you a happy is a "work in progress" Denisio admits. After feeling stagnant and frustrated, Denisio decided she needed to "calm down, soul search, and figure out her next step." After careful thought and self-analysis, Denisio decided to get a full-time job that allows her to pay her bills, while still having the time to dabble in all of her artistic passions. It is her hope that within the near future, she will be able to start a business where she can tap into all of her talents - sell her art pieces, create fashion designs, work in photography, and sign a book deal and trust me there's more! All things creative, is Denisio! In the interim, Denisio has gotten her business license, started an online business, continues to write, sculpt, draw, paint, design, and sew. She's preparing herself for that door of opportunity to open. She has the talent and the drive - so there's no doubt it will open soon. FAB knows she'll be ready!

Profile:
Hometown: Greenbelt, Maryland (15 minutes from Washington, D.C.)

College: Washington and Lee University, B.A. English Literature

**It was very important for Denisio to tell her story to FAB readers, so we were able to dive in a bit deeper and get even more juicy details, just for YOU!**

Denisio in her artistic zone...

FAB: What do you want FAB readers to walk away with when they read this article?

DS:
I hope that by hearing the story of a working (and struggling) artist, readers will understand that your dream career starts with the NOW. This moment. Yes, it is critical to have a goal or a destination in life. Everyone should. But once you know the direction in which you want to go, don’t simply focus on the finish line. Don’t get caught up in dreams of success and recognition so much that when you don’t receive these things you become discouraged. Because, as author Eckhart Tolle says (and I’m paraphrasing here), "When your goal takes up all of your attention, when it becomes more important than the steps you are taking now, you are missing the enjoyment of the journey and your inner purpose". And to me it is in the NOW that truly great art is made.

FAB: What have you learned from following your heart and taking the road less traveled?

KS: I think I’ve realized that I am much stronger than I could ever imagine. Growing up I was always a very timid and shy child and even well into college. I allowed my mind and my fears to steer me away from what I wanted to and who I wanted to be. It got to a point where I felt like I was wearing a mask, and putting on a facade for others because I thought that’s who people wanted me to be. But by finally embracing my “artist mind” in my 20’s, I also embraced myself as a person. I wouldn’t say that I’m a different person now, I’m very much the same awkward, geeky, silly girl. Just that I accept it and own it.

Jacket and Skirt designed by Denisio, photographed by husband and photographer, Dasan Bobo

FAB: What are your current goals?

KS: To produce art that is meaningful and that tells my story. To create objects that are significant, even it is just to one person and even if that one person is me.To one day live and work with other artists in Liberia, my mother’s homeland. I would love to be involved with the preservation and conservation of Liberian art, much of it being lost to the civil war. I feel as though art is critical to the pride of one’s country. It can be cultural, historical, spiritual and even political. I believe a re-appreciation of Liberian art would be critical to the rebuilding of the country.To help create a study abroad residency program for art students in Liberia, perhaps sending them to different countries and likewise bring artist from other countries to Liberia.

FAB: How can FAB serve as a catalyst in helping you to achieve your goals?

KS: I’m hoping that through FAB I can network with like minded individuals interested in using beauty, fashion, and art to benefit others. I am also very much exciting in getting to know and meet with young students considering a career in the arts. Not that I think I can provide them with some great knowledge, I’m still a “student” myself! But its nice to have that support sometimes from someone on a similar journey.

FAB: What advice do you have for college students or young professionals torn about their career and futures?

KS: Probably the oldest and most cliché advice out there, listen your heart. Do what you truly love and enjoy doing, not what you think others expect of you. Fear and uncertainty is expected. But don’t let that fear stop you from what you know you are meant to do on this earth. The best part about life is that it’s never too late. You can start over. You can choose another path. There’s no right and wrong journey…just that you are on a journey is the most important thing. So find a goal, make steps towards it, and enjoy every moment of it.

Denisio painting in her home studio.

2008, Seated Nude and Wanyugo Mask: marker, pastel, and gold leaf on water color paper

2006, Sande Secret Society Girl: mixed media on canvas


Thank you Denisio for sharing your story, your words will ring loud and clear in the ears of those who are scared to follow their dreams or wasn't sure what 1st step to take. And FAB agrees, there is no approval or amount of money that can replace the feeling of content when you know you have followed your heart. We all have to start somewhere - and following your own heart is a great start!



****To get more information on Denisio's artwork: myspace.com/lizzybet or find her on facebook****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Denisio,

I like your paintings very much. It's streange that there are not more pictures from your paintings on the internet. Keep on painting.
I hope to see more in the future.

Bye,

Michael