Saturday, January 24, 2009

BET IN THE BUILDING!!!!!!


BET Exclusive: FAB had the awesome opportunity to have an interview with BET's up and coming Corporate Executive, Kiarra Smothers. Today she's the Partner Marketing Coordinator, but it's only a matter of time before this young driven professional will be calling the shots! Thank you Kiarra for taking the time to talk with FAB about the wonderful world of Music/Entertainment. Kiarra has a refreshing take on adding her positive spin to the negative rap that Urban Music/Entertainment often gets from the Media. She is determined to NOT just be in the business to receive all the exclusive "benefits" of working in the industry or because it sounds cool, she actually wants to make a difference by providing an entertainment platform that touches the heart and soul of those tuning in. Kiarra is only 24 but she has set her sights high. Just from talking with her about her career aspirations, I know that she will go far to become the "Corporate Executive making a difference" that she aspires to be!

Profile:

HOMETOWN: Fort Washington, MD (D.C. area)
EMPLOYER: BET Networks, Partner Marketing Coordinator
INTERNSHIPS: Bad Boy, BET, Def Jam, Universal Records, So So Def, VH1, Radio One, Infinity Broadcasting, Sweetsoul Entertainment
CAREER GOALS: become top executive in a music/entertainment company, as well as start my own business

BET's Kiarra Smothers speaks candidly to FAB.


FAB: Let's cut right to the chase, you're destined for greatness. FAB should get your autograph now, I can foresee you being a well-respected Top Executive within the Music/Media industry in the coming years. Am I right to make this assumption?

KS:
Since part of my dream is to be a Top Executive in the Music/Entertainment industry, I would say so! (laughs) I have always known that the Music/Media industry is where I wanted to be and I try to make strides daily to take me there. My passion and desire to succeed will not let me stop until I reach my goals.

FAB: You're only 24, yet you seem to have it all together. Or is it the case that the "grass is always greener on the other side?"

KS: Even when you think that you have it all together, there is always more to learn or a new challenge. I have so much further to go and I know that this is only the beginning, so I don't have it ALL together but I think I'm on the right track.

FAB:
Bad Boy to Def Jam to BET, what other top ranking companies do you want to add to your resume?

KS: Honestly, I have been an intern or have worked in some capacity for all of my dream companies, but I'd love to come back and work in a closer capacity to those I admire, like Kevin Liles, Shanti Das, Katina Bynum and Michelle"Breeze" Johnson just to name a few would be ideal.

FAB: FAB wishes you good luck on meeting your career icons! As you discuss your goals, you always seem to come back to the music aspect of the industry, what intrigues you the most about the music side of the Entertainment business? Why?

KS: There is something about music that just touches and moves the soul and hearts of people. I love the feelings that it evokes whether it's joy, pain, celebration or love - it's captivating. I've always wanted a job that I LOVE and I know being surrounded by music and the creative energy that's built into it as I connect the people to experience the music is something that can keep me going. That passion and love for a job is a MUST to me!

FAB: FAB definitely agrees, happiness is a deritive of passion. As the Entertainment industry becomes increasingly saturated by drugs, sex, and violence - how do you see yourself fitting in?

KS: I see myself as being able to act as a conduit for the people. For the artist who wants their positive music heard and felt or for the people in the communities to voice their opinion on those things saturating the industry. Whether it's getting an eye opening song in rotation on the network, panel discussions in the communities, or helping to develop programming that lets people know this is a problem or concern - I plan to be able to help make a positive impact.

FAB: You have an entrepreneurial spirit about you, how do you plan to leverage your reign as Top Executive with you entrepreneur dreams?

KS: DEFINITELY- I have numerous ideas now but I know there are two things I LOVE- food and beauty ( LAUGHS!) are in the plan, you just have to wait and see.

FAB: Awww no, FAB has to wait for your big idea?! Okay, it's a deal....Did you have a common "move to the Big City" story...no furniture, just clothes and a goal? Although everyone's story of not having much may seem similar, their personal learning is different. What did your experience teach you?

KS:
Well, I must say I was fortunate for my move to not be as dramatic as many others because I had the privilege to crash on my brother's couch in BK until I had some money, but I did get refreshed on a lesson I know too well, which is remembering that God will work things out in HIS time. It took a while to get the job I felt Icould be happy about waking up to but I held in there long enough and believed that God would take me there.

FAB: As a recent college graduate, you understand the hardships of finding yourself, all the while trying to land a successful career and juggle a personal life. What advice do you have for all the FAB Dream Chasers that were in your shoes or currently in your shoes?

KS: It differs based on what's important to you but for me I've always wanted to get my career together first and I knew the relationship would come along theway. There must and I repeat MUST be a balance between the two. While I'm a true believer in all work no play makes for a boring life, I get it in when it comes to work but I play just as hard.

FAB:
How do you see FAB playing a vital role in your life?

KS: I see FAB being able to be that resource I can use for inspiration and uplifiting. I hope that I am able to touch others through FAB as they have touched me.

FAB: Pressure. No one can escape it. What's your biggest pressure these days? What do you plan to do about it?

KS: To be honest, I really don't let pressure get the best of me, but the main pressure I see for myself is fear. The fear of not making it to the level I desire to be at in MY time. Once again, I get to that lesson of MY time and God's time and I just have to trust and put my faith in him to know that I will be where I need to be when He wants me to be there.

FAB: What are the ingredients that you need to build your "happiness"pie? In other words, what do you need in order to fully feel complete?

KS: I consider myself a pretty simple person so my happiness pie would consistof - Faith, Family, Love, and Security - I believe if I have all of these I will have pure Peace and Joy.

***Kiarra is a great example of how one can turn a goal into reality - with a little patience and perseverance. FAB will definitely be watching Kiarra as she continues to bloom into the professional that knows where she came from and where she's going. FAB loves to see young professionals following their dreams, one day at a time!***

Kiarra with friends at Microsoft event, December 2008
Microsoft event featuring COMMON - launched his t-shirt line, "Software"

Kiarra enjoying down time with a friend at BET Hip Hop Awards in ATL, October 2008

No comments: